The Handbook of Practice and Procedure
The Handbook of Practice and Procedure (interactive for use online & b/w for printing out) is designed as a source of advice and guide to current practice and procedures. The Handbook is under continual revision to reflect changes made through decisions by Yearly Meeting.
Editions of the Handbook
1st edition 1967
2nd edition (interim) 1983
2nd edition (completed) 1985
3rd edition (loose leaf) 1993
4th Edition (looseleaf) 1995
6th Edition 2011
The Use of the Handbook
The Handbook of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) is a source of good, tried, and reliable information about just about anything a person or committee might be asked to undertake within the Religious Society of Friends, including â€”
- A brief history of the Society and gives detailed instructions on how the Society is run
- For those new to the responsibilities of a role within the Religious Society of Friends, practical answers
- Details about the kind of agenda that is needed for the Annual Meeting, guidance for who should attend, and how to include those who are not members of the Society.
- Details about how appointments should be made for the varying positions within the Society, the responsibilities of different committees and entities, the 'jobs' of all the Committees, and how funds are to be distributed and under what circumstances.
- Details on marriages, funerals, putting one's life in order in preparation for death, and many other helpful passages. The general outline of the Appendice on Marriage is given below to illustrate the type of information that can be found in these sections.